[Athen] Any Listings of Free Assistive Technologies?

Jeffrey Sykes sykesje at gvsu.edu
Tue Nov 11 17:50:46 PST 2008

Hi Al,

Some of my students have found a number of the apps on your list helpful.

You may also want to mention the Thunder screenreader, the WebbIE text-only browser, and the Firevox plugin for the Firefox browser.

I'm not going to be able to attend the MI-AHEAD mini-conference on Friday, but if this is when you are presenting, I'd sure like a copy of your presentation.

Jeff

Regards,

Jeff Sykes
Assistive Technology Coordinator
Disability Support Services
Division of Inclusion and Equity
Grand Valley State University

"The difference between how a person treats the powerless versus the powerful is as good a measure of human character as I know."
Robert Sutton, Ph.D.

>>> "Al Puzzuoli" <alpuzz at msu.edu> 11/11/2008 6:31 PM >>>

Hi everyone,

I'll soon be giving a presentation regarding Assistive Technologies for
the computer that are freely available. So far, I intend to touch on
the technologies listed below; However, I would welcome any additions,
or pointers to lists of such technologies already compiled on the net.
So far, I intend to cover:
1. System Access to Go
2. NVDA or nonvisual Desktop Access
3. ReadPlease text reading software.
4. The AMIS Daisy Reader
5. Orca, a screen reader for the Gnome Desktop Environment.
6. VoiceOver screen reader for the Mac

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Al Puzzuoli
Information Technologist
Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities 517-884-1915 120 Bessey
Hall East Lansing, MI 48824-1033 http://www.rcpd.msu.edu