[Athen] Office 03/07 duo installs

Sean Keegan skeegan at htctu.net
Wed Oct 1 09:49:47 PDT 2008

> When I replied that I knew institutions were doing duo installs and

offered

> to help, they then changed their tune and agreed it could be done but

caused

> lots of probelms so they don't recommend it.

While I do know of some institutions that have gotten a dual install of
Office 2007 and 2003 to function on the same machine, it can cause a myriad
of issues. I have tried several times to run a dual Office install and
finally just gave up as I kept experiencing sudden crashes and compatibility
issues with third-party plug-ins. Most of the issues seemed to revolve
around MS Word and Outlook.

So - yes, it can be done. But be prepared to do some maintenance on the
system. There are some things that will be necessary to ensure that Word
2007 and Word 2003 do not attempt to run the installer every time the
program is started, so just be prepared for some tweaking.

Take care,
Sean