[Athen] Captioning Web Videos - and some feedback from you all please

Kerri Hicks kerri.hicks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:26:56 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Brian Richwine <blrichwine at gmail.com> wrote:

> To handle all the international character sets, the proper character

> encoding must be supported. The QTtext format used by QuickTime supports

> various formats of the Unicode character encoding standards which allows for

> most every languages characters to be encoded. QuickTime will make font

> substitutions as needed to display the requested characters as many fonts

> don't cover the entirety of characters. From what I've read, the trick comes

> in generating the QTtext with the proper character encoding in the first

> place.

I captioned a bunch of videos today. The videos are in Flash (not my
choice, but fine), so I used the techniques here:

http://www.digital-web.com/articles/captions_flash_video/

You can see the result here:

http://www.uri.edu/news/video/

Perhaps not the best solution, but It was terrifically easy to do.
(And Flash will encourage you to embed character set information if
necessary.)

--Kerri