[Athen] ePub format on Sony devices

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 06:34:59 PDT 2009

>From the sounds of things this is a publisher standard. Publishers

were the people who argued that having text to speech on the Kindle
was a violation of audio book rights. I can't imagine that the
publishers will go back on that stance and make the documents sold
from retailers accessible to screen readers or TTS engines without a
good fight. Any tagging features that are available the publishers
would probably want to disable. I've seen adobe files from publishers
that have security features that disable screen reader access. I have
also seen features that limitrinting so it could not be sent to
something like the KESI vertual printer.
The only way that they would be accessible when you buy them is if you
have a player that will run OCR on the files when displaying them.
But that would make the players accessible and ot the files.
Jeff
Cleveland State University