[Athen] Software and driver compatibility for Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Shelley Haven shelley at techpotential.net
Thu Aug 27 20:12:22 PDT 2009

Hi, all!

I came across this Wiki site which is maintaining a running list of
software compatibility with Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard), which Apple
officially releases tomorrow.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/start

I glanced through it for software of interest to AT and alt-format
users -- here's where things stand now on a few select titles (these
will obviously change as users like us test and add entries):
- Acrobat Pro (OK)
- Adobe Reader (OK)
- Livescribe Desktop (partial -- see below)
- MacSpeech Dictate 1.5.2 (unknown, but see below)
- Circus Ponies NoteBook (fixes coming this week -- see below)
- OmniOutliner (OK)
- Parallels Desktop (v4.0.3810 and higher OK)
- VMware Fusion (OK w/ 32 bit)

No listings yet for Kurzweil 3000, Read & Write Gold, ClaroRead,
Ghostreader, etc.

Other compatibilities of note (and these are obviously subject to
change as vendors issue patches and updates):

I read on a different list that MacSpeech Dictate version 1.5.2 is
confirmed to not function with OS 10.6, but that fixes are in the works.

According to an administrator on the Livescribe forums, the current
Mac version works fine if you upgrade with Livescribe Desktop v1.1
already installed, but does not work if you install v1.1 on a brand
new install of Snow Leopard.

CircusPonies just posted NoteBook version 360, which is compatible.

Meanwhile, Apple is maintaining lists of software known to not work
with Snow Leopard and printer/scanner drivers which do. Of note, the
new operating system has a feature where such incompatible software is
automatically placed in a folder named Incompatible Software and is
prevented from opening. Here are the Apple links:

Known incompatible software:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3258

Printer and scanner compatibility (this is one really long page):
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

And of course, we'll have to go through the same process when Windows
7 officially hits the stands in October. <smile>

In the meantime, Happy Mac-ing!

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant