[Athen] Dragon app for iPhone

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 8 13:17:56 PST 2009

Hello all,

There is a new Dragon app for the iPhone. Check out Gizmodo for some
basic information (http://tinyurl.com/y97v567) and a review of the
functionality of the app at TUAW (http://tinyurl.com/ycdn4gt).

I have done some basic testing and it seems decent. It couldn't get my
name correct the first time (Shawn vs. Sean) but it's still pretty good.
It is certainly not Dragon 10 and there is not an option to train
Dragon to your voice, but it does work.

From the TUAW article, the speech engine processing is being handled by
Nuance's servers so you need a data connection. For me, it was 1-2
seconds to process 3-4 sentences when using a Wi-Fi connection. You can
also use the on-screen keyboard to make changes to the recognized text.

Once the text has been entered on-screen, you can send the content to
e-mail, a text message, or send it to the clipboard. The interface is
easy and seems fairly responsive on a first-generation phone. I will be
interested to see how this functions on a new 3GS.

Take care,
Sean