[Athen] Kindle 2 pros and cons for students?

Shelley Haven rmhaven at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:46:58 PST 2009

Hi, all!

Amazon released their Kindle 2 this morning -- a neat improvement
over the first generation model. Find a summary at this link,
including some videos of the device in use:
http://tinyurl.com/amazon-kindle-2-summary

I'm interested to know what others think of the pros and cons of this
device for students with LD issues. On the one hand, it now has
text-to-speech built in, and there's the "cool factor" which makes it
more likely to be used as a piece of mainstream technology (vs. being
"assistive technology"). On the down side, I don't believe words are
highlighted as they are read aloud, and it's not clear what the
limits are on uploading your own material and what you can do with
it. (Apparently you can view the documents -- PDFs, Word, and others
-- but can you listen to them? The summary doesn't say.)

I look forward to seeing someone put Kindle 2 through its paces when
it's officially released in a couple of weeks.

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
Sunnyvale, CA