[Athen] Learn to read braille!

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Mon Jan 26 16:15:22 PST 2009

Hello list!

Do you have sighted staff members creating braille who have no idea what it
says? Are you relying on your students to tell you if the braille is
correct? Maybe it's time for someone to learn to decipher the dots!

"Introduction to Reading Braille" is a short, intensive, free training,
unique in the country. In three days, you will learn to understand the
braille code, read braille with a cheat sheet, recognize where the braille
translation software can go wrong, and gain a much greater appreciation for
this amazing tactile reading system.

There is no other training that actually teaches sighted individuals to read
contracted and uncontracted literary braille in three days. Every other
course takes months to cover the same information.

The next class is in Northern California** and will run March 3-5, 2009, at
the following times:
Tuesday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday 9 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Thursday 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

Class participants are expected to attend the entire session all three days.

The training will be located at the High Tech Center Training Unit (HTCTU),
on the corner of Stelling and McClellan Roads, right across the street from
the De Anza College campus in Cupertino, CA.

High Tech Center Training Unit
21050 McClellan Road
Cupertino, CA 95014

The training and all class materials are free of charge. Advance
registration is required.

For those of you who work for disability services at a California community
college, not only is this training free, but we reimburse travel and two
days of lodging!

We frequently have individuals from out-of-state attend this training, and
the San Jose Airport is conveniently located just 20 minutes away from our
facility. There are a number of hotel choices within a mile or two. Please
see our Web site for more travel information:
http://www.htctu.net/trainings/main.htm

To register, please see the HTCTU Web site. If you have not registered for a
training before, just create a new log-in for yourself.
http://www.htctutraining.net/

If you have questions, please contact me (Gaeir Dietrich) at the HTCTU by
phone or e-mail.

Thank you!!

** There will be a class in Southern California in April at the Orange
County Braille Institute. The date has not yet been announced.

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges
De Anza College, Cupertino, CA