[Athen] mathml

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 8 11:46:56 PDT 2009

> We were creating the LATex with Scientific Notebook, then
> ended putting it into Nemeth despite our student’s
> preference, because she was not able to get JAWS to read
> the MathML we created this way. The MathML rendered
> correctly visually but did not read right with
> MathPlayer or with Mozilla

Hi Cath,

Were you going from Scientific Notebook to a Web page with MathML content?

In order to get AT to work with math content, you need to be running
Internet Explorer 6 or above AND have MathPlayer installed.

> Using the itex subset of LaTex then using itextomml, you
> can get good MathML. The rendering in Mozilla becomes JAWS
> friendly at that point (Firefox 3.0).

Hmmm - I did not find that JAWS 10.x was reading the equation correctly
with Firefox 3. While JAWS did read parts of the equation - mainly the
text - it missed super/sub script values as well as Greek symbols (I
think it kept reporting one as "question mark").

Based on what I have seen so far, the only support for AT appears to be
with IE and MathPlayer on Web pages. While other browsers support the
rendering of the equation, there is little to no support for
communicating the actual math information. If anyone has other
experiences, please let me know!

Take care,
Sean