[Athen] SPSS and JAWS

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Tue Jun 23 10:55:13 PDT 2009

Apparently there is a lot of interest in R, since I have had several
inquiries from my post yesterday. Unfortunately I really am pretty
ignorant of statistics - I was just parroting what I have heard on other
lists. However I can tell you that R is free software for doing
statistical computations, graphing, printing the graphics, etc. It is
claimed that R can do anything that SPS can do.

There are R versions for Unix, Mac, and Windows. Following Melanie's
URL below I found a Windows FAQ for R:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html
which may be helpful. At least this FAQ tells you how to obtain and
install the Windows version of R. There is a manual and help files, so
presumably one can learn to use it if one knows about statistical
computation.

I have asked Jonathan Godfrey for more information and will forward it
to this list if/when I hear back. All I know for sure is that he uses R
in terminal mode and finds it very accessible to screen readers.
Terminal mode is old-fashioned, so most non-disabled users will use the
fancy GUI interface. But the terminal mode can do anything that can be
done with the GUI interface.

John

On 6/23/2009 9:13 AM, Melanie Thornton wrote:

> This discussion triggered a discussion on our campus and someone

> posted this link for "R" with web interfaces. I have no idea how helpful

> they are but wanted to pass the link along:

> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#R-Web-Interfaces

> Melanie Thornton

> John Gardner wrote:

>> Hello James. This subject is discussed frequently on the Blind Math

>> list. Yes SPS works with Jaws, but no it is not useful. At least that

>> is my synthesis of the discussions. As seems common these days, SPS is

>> accessible only in principle. ie it's nearly impossible to use unless

>> you are a real computer geek. And if you are really a computer geek,

>> you use "R" instead. It is free, works great, and is really

>> accessible. Jonathan Godfrey, a blind faculty member from New Zealand,

>> is the lists's R expert, and I'm happy to put you in contact if you

>> need help with R.

>> John

>> On 6/22/2009 1:59 PM, James Bailey wrote:

>>> I seem to be conflicting info as to whether JAWS works with SPSS.

>>> What's the consensus of the group?

>>> Thanks,

>>> James

>>> --

>>> James Bailey

>>> Adaptive Technology Access Adviser, University of Oregon

>>> 1501 Kincaid St.