[Athen] Survey Monkey and Accessibility

Burke, Dan (DSS) burke at mso.umt.edu
Thu Mar 12 08:52:07 PDT 2009

I am going to take this opportunity to whine about Survey Monkey's
accessibility. I've taken two surveys this week at Survey Monkey, and
the problem the site has interacting with a screen-reader remains.

Survey Monkey, despite their certification for accessibility, presents
one ongoing problem for screen-readers. Namely, the entire question is
echoed when I arrow over the first choice of the item - on every item.
It is possible, therefore, on some of the more complex and long-worded
items that the cacophony results in obscuring the first choice, and that
I may not make a choice I otherwise would have made. I tried to be
aware of this, and even double-checked a couple of them to find that I
had made omissions.

I noted this problem last year, and tried to engage in a conversation
with Survey Monkey. But being the kind of enterprise that they are,
they don't do direct e-mail - and don't even think about phone calls.
They use a back-end tracking system of their own for such messaging
which, unfortunately, I found even more troublesome as far as
accessibility goes. As a result, I didn't tell them as much as I have
posted here about their problems with access.

Done whining.

Daniel J. Burke
Assistant Director/Coordinator
Disability Services for Students