[Athen] Mac alt format tools

Shelley Haven rmhaven at stanford.edu
Wed May 6 14:09:57 PDT 2009

Hi, Ron!

Here is the alt-format-related stuff I have in my Mac "toolbox":

- GhostReader (TTS, and simple text-to-iTunes)
- Kurzweil 3000 v4
- Read & Write Gold - new v3, to be released on May 15th, has ABBY OCR engine (previously used IrisScan 9.1); also includes DAISY Reader, better Office integration, floating toolbar, and tools more in line with the Windows version (but not a screenshot reader)
- SOLO Literacy Suite (Don Johnston) - keep in mind I also work with K-12 students
- Bookshare version of Read:OutLoud-Mac (once it's released)
- CLiCk, Speak (Firefox plug-in for reading the Web)
- Dictate (speech recognition by MacSpeech)

...and, as with Sam and others, running Windows apps via VMware Fusion.

Ciao,
Shelley Haven