[Athen] FW: [leadership] Seeking More Test Accommodation Horror Stories

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:53:43 PST 2009

From: leadership-bounces at acb.org [mailto:leadership-bounces at acb.org] On
Behalf Of Eric Bridges
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 4:51 PM
To: leadership at acb.org
Cc: announce at acb.org
Subject: [leadership] Seeking More Test Accommodation Horror Stories

Thank you to those perspective and current students who have responded to
ACB's questionnaire.

If you are not a student but know somebody who is, please feel free to send
this message to him or her. Furthermore, if you are aware of higher
education associations in your state, it would be helpful to send this
message to them as well.

We are seeking as many concrete responses as we can get regarding the
discrimination people who are blind or visually impaired have faced over
the past two calendar years while having admission exams administered.
Specifically, we are interested in the organizations that administered the
tests and their failure to properly accommodate the test taker. We have
antidotal evidence that organizations such as Pearson Education and ETS have
not provided reasonable accommodations to blind or visually impaired test
takers for many years. Please take a few minutes to respond to the questions
below.

These responses will allow us to approach Congress, test entities, and the
federal government with greater leverage. Please let me know if you have any
questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Eric

Name of person and appropriate contact information:

Name of test administered:

Date of test:

Name of the party/organization that discriminated:

If possible, the name/names of individuals contacted from the
party/organization:

Place of discrimination located at:

Description of discrimination

If applicable, please describe proposed resolution by the offending
party/organization:

Current status of your situation:

Describe how your experience impacted your ability to gain acceptance to
school:

Eric Bridges

Director of Advocacy and Governmental Affairs

American Council of the Blind

2200 Wilson Blvd. Suite 650

Arlington, VA 22201

Phone: (202) 467-5081