[Athen] adjustable tables for classrooms

Jim Lenker lenker at buffalo.edu
Fri Oct 2 12:29:51 PDT 2009

Dear ATHEN-ites,

A colleague in disability services asked if I could recommend an
adjustable table for use in classrooms on campus. An excerpt of her
needs is below.

.."For the past few years Facilities has been placing tables in
classrooms for students who use wheelchairs and for whom the standard
seating arrangements are not conducive to their needs. Recently they
have asked that we give them a specific recommendation of a table that
would be appropriate for all students. It needs to be something that
can be bolted to the floor (so that it can not be moved to a different
classroom location.) My thoughts are that the height should be
adjustable as well as some students and some wheelchairs may have
different height requirements. They basically are looking for a
pre-fabricated table that they can order and then install in classrooms
where wheelchair users are attending class."

I can identify numerous adjustable-height table options on the web, but
I would prefer to suggest something that has been battle-tested.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Jim

James A. Lenker, PhD, OTR/L
Assistant Professor