[Athen] obligation to provide alt format for research/thesis work

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Tue Oct 6 11:55:46 PDT 2009

This is typically a matter of negotiation between the student, the major
professor and the accommodations provider. In the past I have always agreed
to convert any book that the major prof indicated was a core materials but
as far as books for research, thesis or dissertation it was incumbent on the
student to indicate what specific materials they needed or required to
complete their degree requirements. In most instances I have agreed to
"dirty scan and ocr" the materials but refused to actually edit any of the
underlying text unless there was a compelling reason that was established to
do so.

As to library materials, research is a key requirement of graduate study and
in most instances the systems are fairly accessible. For ILL loan materials
or reference materials equipment was made available for the student to do
their own scanning and conversion and from time to time they could request
that these materials be converted for them but their major prof had to be a
member of the group making the final decision.

Ron Stewart