[Athen] Synthesized Voices and Accurate Pronunciation

CUTLER_ELLEN CUTLER_ELLEN at smc.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:36:41 PDT 2009

Hello,

We have a student who needs to listen to respiratory therapy text books.
Towards this end, we need to know what determines how accurately text
will be read. Is it the synthesized voice? Is it the text-to-speech
software? What text-to-speech environment is likely to read medical
texts accurately? I was wondering if the TTS feature of the Medical
version of NaturallySpeaking would do well; however, the student does
not need voice recognition....

Thanks, Ellen

Ellen Cutler
Santa Monica College
Disabled Student Services, High Tech Training Center
1900 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
310.434-4496
cutler_ellen at smc.edu