[Athen] Google eBooks and VoiceOver on iPad

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Mon Dec 6 20:42:56 PST 2010

As some of you know, Google unveiled their eBooks platform and eBookstore today. More info here:
http://books.google.com/ebooks

Google eBooks can be read on Android devices (obviously), iOS devices, the Web, and both Sony and Nook e-readers. You can download an app for reading Google eBooks on iPads, etc. here:
http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/ios.html

I downloaded a sample eBook to my iPad and was pleasantly surprised to find that it works with VoiceOver (perhaps not that surprisingly since it uses the ePub format, like iBooks). Also, it surrounds the text being read (sentence, paragraph, etc.) with a rounded rectangle. VoiceOver gestures don't seem to work quite like they do in iBooks, though -- still trying to figure them out. But the capability is there.

Text in the Web reader does not appear to work with text-to-speech.

Just thought you'd like to know...

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant