[Athen] anyone have info on accessibility of Facebook Lite?

Pielaet, Jon jon.pielaet at mso.umt.edu
Fri Feb 5 14:27:46 PST 2010

Yes. Facebook Lite is a much better experience for anyone trying to use
a screen reader or any other assistive technology. The lite version is
mostly HTML\CSS and doesn't include many of the applications or games
that make the full version of Facebook so popular (Like your grandson's
Farmville game).

The Games and Web Apps are almost exclusively coded in flash and are not
very accessible at all. In addition to using Facebook Lite, you can also
choose to have many of the messages posted to your facebook profile sent
to you via e-mail or text message. This too enhances the usability of
facebook for people using assistive technology.

Tools like friendfeed, and pixelpipe can help integrate social
networking updates from sources (like e-mail) to networks (like
facebook) as well.

Check them out,

Jon

Jon P. Pielaet
Program Assistant for Instructional Materials
Disability Services for Students
Emma B. Lommasson 154
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812