[Athen] Nuance acquires MacSpeech

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Tue Feb 16 09:17:37 PST 2010

Now this could be really good! Speech recognition for both Macs and
Windows PCs will now be under one roof:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/16/nuance-acquires-macspeech-beefs-up-plans-for-dragon-speech-recognition-for-mac/

Nuance Acquires MacSpeech, Beefs Up Plans for Dragon Speech
Recognition for Mac

Nuance Communications today announced that it has acquired MacSpeech,
the leading provider of speech recognition products for the Mac
platform. MacSpeech's "Dictate" product for Mac OS X, selected as Best
of Show at Macworld San Francisco 2008, already utilizes Nuance's
Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition engine and will allow
Nuance to build on its current success with Dragon applications for
the iPhone and move into the Mac environment.
"We have heard from our customers -- and from the Mac community at
large -- for years that they want Dragon for the Mac environment,"
said Peter Mahoney, senior vice president and general manager for
Dragon, Nuance Communications. "In 2008, MacSpeech licensed our
underlying Dragon dictation technology to deliver MacSpeech Dictate,
and the demand has only continued to grow, fueled recently by our
recent launch of Dragon Dictation for the iPhone. MacSpeech's
knowledge of the Mac platform and its deep understanding of Mac users,
coupled with our decades-long experience with speech recognition and
the popular Dragon brand, will allow us to provide the world's best
dictation technology in a solution that is 100-percent Mac."

According to the press release, Nuance plans to leverage its existing
Dragon branding and expertise in marketing, distribution, and research
and development to drive growth of the MacSpeech line of products.

Late last year, Nuance introduced its free Dragon Dictation
application for the iPhone, which has remained the #1 free application
in the App Store's "Business" category since its release. The release
was followed up by the launch of Dragon Search, a free voice-enabled
search application for the iPhone capable of interfacing with such
sources as Google, Bing, YouTube, and Wikipedia.

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
Shelley at TechPotential.net
www.TechPotential.net