[Athen] ebrary access ??

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 23 15:44:31 PST 2010

> This is new to me, our college library is using
> online e-books through "ebrary" . Can these be
> accessed with screen or text reading software.

There is an accessibility announcement from eBrary in Dec. 2009 that
refers to accessibility for students with disabilities (warning PDF):

http://www.ebrary.com/corp/newspdf/ebrary_Accessibility.pdf;jsessionid=ENMCCLKMKNPJ

I had a few meetings with company representatives several years ago and,
because of the way in which the technology was being deployed, it was
very difficult to get any assistive technology to work in the eBrary
environment - some things worked, but most text-to-speech functionality
was not supported. At the time, I believe the company was looking to
just create their own assistive technology "solutions" within the eBrary
system, but do not know if they finally pursued this option.

However, according to the above PDF document, it seems that some changes
have been made as of Dec. 2009 that does allow for some accessibility
support for screen-readers.

Take care,
Sean