[Athen] videos of users with disabilities surfing web or using computer

Shelley Haven shelley at techpotential.net
Sun Jan 3 12:18:05 PST 2010

Hi Howard, and welcome to 2010!

I've used clips from the following in various presentations on UDL and
Web accessibility:

I like the "Personal Perspective" videos on WebAIM where users with
various disabilities explain the problems they encounter accessing the
Web:
Kyle - visual
http://www.webaim.org/media/video/kyle/kyle.asx
Curtis - hearing
http://www.webaim.org/media/video/curtis/curtis.asx
Gordon - motor
http://www.webaim.org/media/video/gordon/gordon.asx

Also, consider the excellent video "Surfing the Web with a
Screenreader" (AccessIT) where blind user Debbie demonstrates specific
Web obstacles and how to get past them:
http://www.washington.edu/accessit/surfing.php

There are some good user perspectives on Headstrong Nation's
documentary on LD and ADHD issues:
http://www.headstrongnation.org/documentary

Lastly, CSU Fresno put out an award-winning 27-minute video years ago
titled "Know Your Users" where individuals with different disabilities
discuss how they use the Web and demonstrate problems they encounter;
however, I can't find it online anywhere.

Best of luck with the class!

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant