[Athen] BLIO - free e-reader software

Robert Martinengo accessible.text at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 05:26:05 PST 2010

Marla,

I have seen a demo of the Blio software and it does indeed look
promising. But what is more interesting is the business relationship
with Baker & Taylor (a large book distributor). My understanding is
that Baker & Taylor will convert publishers PDFs to work with the new
reader for free, and they will only make money from sales of the book
in Blio format.

This is important because it gives publishers an incentive to make
their books available in Blio format (which I believe is Microsoft's
XPS), and Baker & Taylor will be pushing the format so they can make
their investment back. DAISY has been around for over 10 years but
there are still very few DAISY format books available commercially,
whereas Blio should have thousands of titles available right away.

But, like with any new tech product, don't go by the press release.
Download a demo when it becomes available and try it for yourself.

Bob