[Athen] Handwriting conversion to text

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Tue Jun 29 10:37:04 PDT 2010

(I sent this directly to Heidi yesterday because I couldn't post it to the list despite several tries -- thought y'all might find it useful, too. Apparently ATHEN-Pro is rejecting it because of one or more of the links, so I've replaced them with descriptions -- let's see if this works...)

Hi, Heidi!

The handwriting recognition (HWR) I'm familiar with which are worth trying:

MyScript addition for Livescribe Pulse pens:
[see VisionObjects.com site]
The biggest issue I find with this is that you must rely on the software to figure out how to format and lay out the resulting converted text. Since most people write and draw anywhere on the page, not in straight one-column text, the results can be rather strange.

HWR built into Windows XP:
[search the Microsoft site]

HWR built into Windows 7:
[search the Microsoft site]

Math HWR in Windows 7:
[search for info on the Windows 7 Math Input Panel]

HWR built in the Mac OS ("Ink" or sometimes "Inkwell"):
[search Apple Support; also ATMac.org]

In my experience, Windows' handwriting recognition has been more accurate and less of a hassle than the Mac's. You can use HWR in conjunction with an external graphics tablet. Some programs, like Microsoft OneNote (Windows) and Circus Ponies' NoteBook (Mac) include handwriting-to-text conversion features (they use the HWR built into the operating systems).

Interesting tidbit: handwriting recognition works considerably better than trying to OCR handwritten text because the HWR software doesn't just rely on the static image -- it also has access to how the strokes were formed and in what order, which provides additional clues as to what the person is writing. My handwriting is mostly unreadable, but Livescribe Desktop has no problem finding words I've written during a search.

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
www.TechPotential.net