[Athen] LaTEX MathML Translators

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Tue Mar 16 11:29:30 PDT 2010

Hi Ron, we have used Tex4HT andfound it about as good as anything,
better than most.
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/

Converting Latex to XHTML+MathML will nearly always need some human
correction. Because it is fairly easy to compose Latex equations that
look right but really are not. For example there are several kinds of
vertical bars in Latex, and if you use the wrong ones to create
determinants, the MathML will just be wrong. Really wrong.

There are also usualy problems wit Macros. If you have the orginal
styles defining those macros, you can do the translation. If you don't,
then some mathematician is gonna have to figure out what they mean inb
order to do the translation.

So conversion is not trivial, but it's a whole lot easier than
re-creating the files.

John