[Athen] Extracting Highlighted Text

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Fri May 14 19:20:12 PDT 2010

OK, this is really low cost (free) and you already own it: highlight text in Word, then use the Find/Replace function to replace all the non-highlighted text with line breaks. Specific steps for Windows [Mac commands in brackets]:

1) Highlight text in desired colors (perhaps using a highlighting strategy such as headers in yellow, sub-heads in green, details in blue, etc.)
2) Save the document with a different name (important) -- this will become the extracted text document
3) Select Home > Editing > Replace [Edit > Replace...]
4) Click "More" [click that little down-facing triangle] to expose more options
5) With the cursor in the Find text box, select Format > Highlight; "Format: Highlight" appears below text box
6) Select Format > Highlight again; label under text box changes to "Format: Not Highlight"
7) Place cursor in the Replace text box and select Special > Paragraph Mark (essentially, a line break)
8) Click Replace All -- all the non-highlighted text is replaced with a single line break, leaving the highlighted text in the order it originally appeared

And if you can write a macro for this, you'll have one-step extraction of highlighted text in Word!

I haven't figured a way to automatically reformat by highlight color, but if you switch to Outline view, it will be easier to manually indent or outdent selected notes by color.

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
www.TechPotential.net