[Athen] Extracting Highlighted Text
ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Fri May 14 19:20:12 PDT 2010
OK, this is really low cost (free) and you already own it: highlight text in Word, then use the Find/Replace function to replace all the non-highlighted text with line breaks. Specific steps for Windows [Mac commands in brackets]:
1) Highlight text in desired colors (perhaps using a highlighting strategy such as headers in yellow, sub-heads in green, details in blue, etc.)
2) Save the document with a different name (important) -- this will become the extracted text document
3) Select Home > Editing > Replace [Edit > Replace...]
4) Click "More" [click that little down-facing triangle] to expose more options
5) With the cursor in the Find text box, select Format > Highlight; "Format: Highlight" appears below text box
6) Select Format > Highlight again; label under text box changes to "Format: Not Highlight"
7) Place cursor in the Replace text box and select Special > Paragraph Mark (essentially, a line break)
8) Click Replace All -- all the non-highlighted text is replaced with a single line break, leaving the highlighted text in the order it originally appeared
And if you can write a macro for this, you'll have one-step extraction of highlighted text in Word!
I haven't figured a way to automatically reformat by highlight color, but if you switch to Outline view, it will be easier to manually indent or outdent selected notes by color.
Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
On May 14, 2010, at 10:45 AM, CUTLER_ELLEN wrote:
> Are any of you familiar with a program that can extract highlighted text? If the text could be extracted hierarchically based on color as Kurzweil does, that would be an amazing bonus. We are looking for a low to no-cost solution that only needs to be able to extract highlighted text from a program that provides highlighting like Word.
> Thanks so much.
> Ellen Cutler
> Santa Monica College
> Disabled Student Services, High Tech Training Center
> 1900 Pico Blvd.
> Santa Monica, CA 90405
> cutler_ellen at smc.edu
> Athen mailing list
> Athen at athenpro.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the athen-list