[Athen] Kindle Accessibility Features

Todd DeVries devrtodd at isu.edu
Thu Nov 4 07:23:27 PDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

The new Kindle is rather nice in some ways, but it still has a ways to
go. The "read to me" feature works a lot like a tape recorder. Play and
stop. One cannot read by lines or words. The menus all speak, once voice
guide is enabled. Unfortunately, features like setting bookmarks can
only be done at a screen-based level because of the inability to hear
where exactly one is in the text. The same applies to highlighting.

Type size within a book can be changed significantly. Unfortunately, the
menus are only given one size.

I've shown the device to several low vision and LD students and received
positive feedback. My sense is that, if one can see the screen at all,
the Kindle is a good tool. If you are relying solely on the spoken menus
and reading feature, work still needs to be done.