[Athen] FW: Unique leadeship position open: Higher Ed Learning Disabilities

Catherine M. Stager Kilcommons Catherine.Stager-kilcommons at Colorado.EDU
Wed Nov 17 20:09:48 PST 2010

This may be of interest....
From: Professional & Organization Development Network in Higher Education [mailto:POD at LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Horii, Cassandra
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:44 AM
To: POD at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: [POD] Unique leadeship position open: Higher Ed Learning Disabilities

Dear Colleagues:

While this may not look like the usual Center Director kind of position we normally share, I hope you don't mind me reaching out to see if you know anyone who might be interested in applying for the position of Director of the Program for Advancement of Learning at Curry College.

This opening presents a unique opportunity for leadership, vision, and research with a dedicated group of faculty on behalf of bright college students with diagnosed learning disabilities. There's a great deal of overlap with our community's expertise in faculty/organizational development, research on teaching and learning, and assessment as well. Please feel free to forward this description. Thank you so much.

All the best,
Cassandra

Cassandra Volpe Horii, Ph.D.
Dean of Faculty, Curry College
1071 Blue Hill Avenue, Milton, MA 02186
chorii at curry.edu<mailto:chorii at curry.edu>, 617-333-2233

Director, The Program for Advancement of Learning

The Program for Advancement of Learning (PAL) at Curry College is an internationally recognized program serving students with average to above-average intelligence who have language-based learning disabilities (LD) and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD). The program's metacognitive, strength-based approach has been a model for over 40 years. We are now seeking a Director who will build on current program strengths and facilitate its continued evolution as a premiere teaching center for college students with LD. We anticipate that the Director will hold a faculty appointment at the Full Professor level. Start date: Summer 2011 (preferred) or Fall 2011.

Responsibilities include: academic department leadership; working with Admission and Enrollment Management departments on recruitment and retention of students in the program; educating both college and external constituencies about the program; conducting research to evaluate program effectiveness; and managing program operations. The position also carries minimal teaching responsibilities.

The successful candidate will have strong communication and collaboration skills for work with faculty, students, and parents. We require a Ph.D./Ed.D., in a relevant discipline, with a teaching and scholarly publication record in the field consistent with faculty appointment at the Professor level. Familiarity with current neuro/cognitive research as it relates to learning and teaching is desired. Experience should include a record of successful postsecondary LD program administration; work with both traditional and non-traditional college students with learning differences; experience working with faculty from diverse disciplines regarding accommodations and curriculum modifications; familiarity with technology applications and assistive technology; strong curriculum development and assessment skills. We seek a student-centered leader with creativity and outstanding team-building skills. Deadline for applications is January 14, 2011.

Apply on-line at Curry Faculty Positions<http://www.curry.edu/About+Us/Human+Resources/Job+Opportunities/Faculty+Positions.htm>.

http://www.curry.edu/About+Us/Human+Resources/Job+Opportunities/Faculty+Positions.htm

For information about the Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network in Higher Education visit http://podnetwork.org

Hosted by the John A. Kaneb Center for Teaching and Learning and the Office of Information Technologies at the University of Notre Dame. *************************************************************************