[Athen] Read&Write Gold

Dan Comden danc at washington.edu
Tue Nov 30 10:18:30 PST 2010

Hi Norm,

As EA indicates: you must explicitly ask for a demo. There were piles
of demo discs at AHG, some of which I used on the conference lab
machines. But there is no download link on their site. This is a
strange approach in this day and age, in my opinion. Pretty much all
the other vendors offer downloadable demo versions of their software.

I recommend that you install this on a test computer -- one that you
don't rely on for daily work. We had some very odd problems with Read
& Write -- more than just about any other program. It's a shame,
because I think once it's working properly, it's a fairly decent
application. But like many other apps that use TTS, it seems to assume
it's the only program that will be installing SAPI voices and can
cause some conflicts that may be difficult to fix. I sure wish the
vendors who implement TTS software would come up with a solution to
this perennial headache.

-*- Dan