[Athen] Victor Stream, Macs, and CDs

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 8 16:57:34 PDT 2010

> I use a SanDisk MicroMate to put the memory card directly into a USB
> port--makes book transfer a breeze!

Yeah - that would be ideal. Unfortunately, a student has had multiple
problems with the clam-shell style players breaking (hence I suggested
trying something a bit more durable), but nearly all the content is in
RFB&D audio CD form. I was a bit concerned that there could be some
crazy DRM that prevented the transfer of files.

Jon Pielet had a good response that got blocked by the filters, so I am
forwarding on his behalf:

********
Yes, the stream is a USB Mass Storage Device and will be recognized as
flash memory in almost any operating system including Windows 7, Mac
OSX, and Linux.

> Has anyone used the USB CD attachment to connect
> a CD drive to the Stream? This would allow for the
> transfer of AudioPlus CD books to the Stream. Here
> is the URL for the "authorized" version of the device
> (http://tinyurl.com/24v75l8), but I am curious about
> a general external CD player.

Although I don't have experience connecting an external CD drive
directly to the stream, I have copied AudioPlus CD books to the Stream
from the CD drive of a PC with no trouble.

Hope that helps,

Jon
*******

--
Sean Keegan, M.S.
Associate Director, Assistive Technology