[Athen] Pearson online Lab's

Sharon Trerise trerise at cayuga-cc.edu
Thu Sep 30 08:14:12 PDT 2010

1- Has anyone had the any experience in their school with Pearson?

Our students have run into problems with MyMathLab and text-to-speech software. The sample problems are displayed as graphics (the entire problem, not just the equations) so the vast majority of text-to-speech software will not work. It has been over a year since this happened but I am guessing that the accessibility has not improved.

2- What is your policy in your school working with publisher's inaccessible course contents?

We don't have a policy. I contacted Pearson several times and they assured me that the next version would be more accessible. However, the way it appears that they made it more accessible was to give the instructor the option to provide their own examples using MathML. That defies the whole purpose of MyMathLab which is to provide extensive practice and instruction for students without creating any more work for the instructor.

3- What is your policy if course syllabus stating to use my Spanish lab and faculty makes an exception so a student is blind and don't use the interactive Spanish lab?

But follow the course from book (all fun staff and practices, quizzes are at my Spanish lab)

In part because of the accessibility problems and partly because the students don't like MyMathLab, our instructors now use it as an optional tool for students to practice concepts that they are teaching in class. Our math department made a decision not to use it for testing or quizzes any longer.

4- Are there any Colleges/universities out there Pearson is not allowed to sell their products or had to modify its services etc..

Sharon Trerise
Coordinator of Disability Services
Cayuga Community College
197 Franklin St.