[Athen] Listening to PDF files on iPad and iPhone

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Mar 2 17:37:18 PST 2011

> And VoiceOver can read the PDF once it is open.
> (The iPhone has native support for PDFs.)

The catch with using VoiceOver with PDFs, though, is that it is a bit
challenging to navigate through the document. VoiceOver seems to always
start reading from the top of the document. You could navigate from
page to page, but once on the page VoiceOver seems to read only from the
top again. If anyone has any suggestions as to what may be happening,
please post (navigating ePub content is not a problem, just PDF files).

Another suggestion was iBooks and that could be an option. You can open
the PDF in iBooks, but to have better navigation control you would need
to convert the PDF to an ePub document using a converter such as
something like Calibre
(http://calibre-ebook.com), but this is fairly simple.

Definitely some options to consider and it's hard to beat free. Most of
the students I have worked with, though, tend to prefer more natural
sounding voices and the iOS VoiceOver voice was not the first (or
second) choice.

Take care,
Sean