[Athen] Worpress/accessibility question

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 18:41:40 PDT 2011

I agree with Hadi.

I find access keys a very poor solution to pages that are designed poorly
in the first place.

Granted, in my advancing age I have learned a ton of keys for windows, more
for a screen reader and more if I sometimes us a second screen
reader. Then more in Excel if I need it to read cell comments and other
features that the screen normally does not reveal automatically. Then PDF
readers have even more access keys.

When I go into a Web conference where the arrow or tab won't get me to
important items but they try to fix it with access keys, I just turn off my
brain. How many special key combinations can I remember and especially
when I have to remember which application I am using and which keys go for
it and not another........

To tell the truth, I wouldn't have tackled that much trivial memorization
when I was 40 years younger.

Call me lazy or maybe access keys are really a poor way to solve problems.
Norm