[Athen] Foot Mouse need

Mary J Ziegler maryz at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 3 12:10:47 PDT 2011

We have both the Bili Foot Mouse and the No Hands (but I believe the No Hands may not available for purchase anymore). Both can cause tendonitis in the lower leg/ankle/foot with extended use. Plus, it's almost impossible to stabilize your upper body while sitting and using both feet, so it can cause back strain too. I have seen folks use the Bili for SHORT durations successfully, but I would not recommend it as long-term solution.

I agree that a regular big trackball will likely work better, for the reasons Dan outlines below.

Best,
Mary
____________
Mary J. Ziegler
IT Manager, Accessibility and Usability
MIT Information Services and Technology (IS&T)
ATIC Room 7-143
617.258.9328
maryz at mit.edu

From: athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu [mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Dan Comden
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2011 12:34 PM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: Re: [Athen] Foot Mouse need

Here's another vote for a trackball on the floor, preferably one with a large ball and big buttons.

We have had a NoHands mouse (http://www.footmouse.com/) in our facility for many years. Not one person who tried it enjoyed using it. Doing fine motor control as in mouse movements with both feet is a challenge. It appears that it's much easier to control a trackball with one foot instead.