[Athen] New Kurzweil product -- Firefly

Laurie Vasquez Vasquez at sbcc.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:20:12 PST 2011

This is the response I received from one of their reps.

Firefly is totally web based and is a read only version. It gets all info from the K3000 - which now has a universal library attached to it for documents to be converted and saved. The Firefly will be a very simple to use "text to speech" product but with some of the features - like highlighting. I don't think it will have the advanced features as it will be in an unlimited use capacity for all students who need help with reading. www.fireflybykurzweil.com<http://www.fireflybykurzweil.com> It's not all in place as yet due out in January.

The k3000 vs 13 will be Pros - no LearnStations and if you want to use it with the firefly, will need to be web license which will be a subscription. It varies by the size of the campus that you serve, but will be unlimited use. You can still purchase stand alone and network, but all Web License is a yearly subscription. You may get a sizeable credit for what you now own ( through this July) that can apply to future years.

Laurie

>>> Kathleen Cahill <kcahill at MIT.EDU> 11/7/2011 10:21 AM >>>

Hi Athenites,

Does anyone know what this product is that Kurzweil is releasing called Firefly?? http://kurzweiledu.com/kurzweil-3000-firefly.html The information on the Kurzweil website really doesn't tell me much!

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathleen Cahill
Assistive Technology Consultant
MIT ATIC (Assistive Technology Information Center)
77 Mass. Ave. 7-143
Cambridge MA 02139
(617) 253-5111