[Athen] Firefly question related to assisting general education population

Dawes, Brenda brenda.dawes at okstate.edu
Tue Nov 8 16:52:46 PST 2011

I'm new to the list - please forgive if the answer has been discussed already, but the Firefly topic fits along with the current issue I'm working on which is figuring out how to use literacy software at the college level to help struggling students that are not diagnosed with a print disability and not receiving services from university student disability services. Do you have advice on what the best steps are for obtaining their textbook in digital format since they won't be eligible for Bookshare? Can one successfully use "fair use" to scan chapters of the textbook and convert it to use in one of these literacy software tools? We have WYNN, Kurzweil, Read Write Gold, and Read Outloud, Cowriter, Write Outloud, Draft Builder, and just learned about University Read Ou loud and Cowriter today. Is it best to have the student request the book store request the publisher's digital format - i.e. PDF, Html, etc. ? Any advice on what the favorite software tools are for students who can benefit from these literacy support products?

Brenda Dawes, Oklahoma ABLE Tech
Program Manager
1514 W. Hall of Fame Stillwater, OK  74078
405.744.5170 or 800.257.1705
brenda.dawes at okstate.edu
http://okabletech.okstate.edu