[Athen] EASI 4-part, fee-based Series: Better E-books with DAISY EPUB and More

Prof Norm Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:45:27 PDT 2012

EASI 4-part, fee-based Series: Better E-books with DAISY EPUB and More

The accessibility of e-books is almost the hottest topic at
disability-education-disability conferences. Because it is new, most of us
don't know nearly enough about it. We don't know

how it impacts our students, and we don't know what are the future
prospects for accessibility.

I can't urge you too strongly to take a serious look at attending this
series. We are on the cutting edge of the coming e-book wave. Grab the
wave and take the ride!!! HAVE NO FEAR!

YOU TOO CAN DO IT!

The EASI 4-part, fee-based Series: Better E-books with DAISY EPUB and More
is scheduled for:
April 10 and 17; May 1 and 8
Times all daylight saving: 11 AM Pacific, noon Mountain, 1 PM Central and 2
PM Eastern
Weeks 1-2, (April 10 and 17), will focus on the DAISY authoring and reading
products developed by Dolphin.
Presenter: Jeff Bazer from Dolphin Computer Access in the US.
Jeff will discuss EASY Converter, EASY Producer, and Easy Reader which
now will read both DAISY and EPUB content.
The buzz is that the epub 3 standard will be highly compatible with the
DAISY format. We can expect authoring tools to handle both formats in the
near future. Most hardware DAISY

players now will handle books in epub2.

Week 3, May 1: Overview of the epub and other e-document formats being used
by publishers of e-books
Presenter: Norm Coombs CEO of EASI, Professor Emeritus from RIT
This Webinar will give an introduction to common document formats
publishers are using for e-books including books for the Kindle, Nook, Blio
and Adobe Digital editions. It will

suggest ways that these proprietary formats may be converted to other
formats and avoid being reader specific.
It will point to tools that will enable writers to authorbooks in the
epub format and tools to facilitate changing documents from one

Week 4, May 8: Will demonstrate the add-in which will save Word Documents
as DAISY Content
Presenter: Craig Mill, Assistive Technology Advisor at CALL Scotland
(Communication, Access, Literacy and Learning)
This free add-in for Microsoft Word has been available for a few years,
but it is being constantly simplified and improved. For example, it now
handles accessible Math. The presentation

will include YouTube videos Mill created to walk users through the process
of making personal DAISY content.

EASI Annual Members can register free for the series from
http://easi.cc/member/index.htn where you will need your member username
and password. We need your registration so we

can send participants email updates and log in information
There are some scholarships available at:
http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm

Non-members can register and pay the $225 registration for this 4-part
series. You can pay by credit card, check or PO at the link below and
select Web conferences and select the date

for April 10.
https://www.secure.servsite.com/easi/enrollment/enrollment_pal.shtml

It's never too late to become what you might have been. George Eliot
Once you choose hope, anything's possible. Christopher Reeve
Norman Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com

Making Online Teaching Accessible: Inclusive Course Design for Students
with Disabilities by Norman Coombs published by Jossey-Bass Oct 10,2010
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470499044.html