[Athen] technology support for Arabic

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 30 14:29:13 PDT 2012

Hi Wink,

> A student on the campus told me today that she would like
> to take Arabic and asked if there is any text-to-speech
> technology available in Arabic.

There is a TTS voice in Arabic that is available as a free download in
Apple OS X Lion. If you go to the System Preferences > Speech > System
Voice and then choose "Customize" you will be able to find many
different languages. Just download the preferred voice and you are all set.

Here is the note from Apple:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#accessibility

Here is a YouTube video of the TTS voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gut0-dZs2I

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology