[Athen] Recommendations for a magnification product to enlarge the board for a visually impaired Student

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:44:19 PST 2012

Hi Peggy

I have not implemented a portable video magnifier in some years. The last
one we had, a Clarity Classmate, died a while back and has not been
replaced.

I just saw a product last week that may fit the bill -- literally -- if the
student is a ZoomText user.

AISquared is now offering (with the release of the newest version of
ZoomText magnification software) an option to pair a webcam to be used as a
video magnifier. They sell a mount and camera combination for $150.
http://aisquared.com/zoomtext/tour/camera/

Compare this with the usual video magnifier cost of thousands of dollars.
Pretty cool stuff.

Other low cost options would be to use any video or digital camera with a
laptop if it has zoom capability.

Otherwise, there are a number of products that provide distance viewing in
classroom settings. They are purpose-built and the cost is significant.
Examples include Clarity Deskmate (
http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Portable-Magnifiers/Deskmate), and
SmartView Graduate (
http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Portable-Magnifiers/SmartView-Graduate-Magnifier
)

-*- Dan

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Buchmiller, Peggy <
PBuchmiller at columbiabasin.edu> wrote:

> Good Morning,****

> Our campus is looking for recommendations for a magnification product that

> your campus has used to enlarge the board in class for a visually impaired

> student . We are researching products on line but would like a

> recommendation for a product you may have used successfully on your campus

> for this situation.****

> ** **

> Thank you,****

> ** **

> Peggy Buchmiller****

> Assistant Dean****

> Student Programs and Support Services****

> Director, Resource Center****

> Columbia Basin College****

> 509-542-4444****

> pbuchmiller at columbiabasin.edu****

> ** **

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology