[Athen] FW: high speed scanning

Linda Petty linda.petty at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 4 14:32:50 PST 2012

From: Linda Petty AccessAbility Services <linda.petty at utoronto.ca<mailto:linda.petty at utoronto.ca>>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 15:51:04 -0500
To: <athen-list at u.washington.edu<mailto:athen-list at u.washington.edu>>
Subject: high speed scanning

Todd, we are in a single campus set up, serving approx. 6000 plus students (approx. 400 to 500 registered with our service). We do a lot of multiple format textbooks, and are using a Canon Image Formula DR 2010c. You can find the free scanning software on the web to download to work with it, and it defaults to scan into PDF format.

Our printing service takes the bindings off the textbooks for us and replaces it afterwards with a ring binding. We also contact each publisher, requesting electronic format, which is becoming more available.

We save the books in separate chapters, and students convert them to KESI format on their own system, save in MP3 format, etc. if they want to do this, etc.

Linda Petty, O.T. Reg. (Ont.)
Assistive Technology Consultant