[Athen] Tactile Graphics

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 5 14:28:55 PST 2012

> What do others do to make graphics

> accessible to blind and low-vision students?

We have transitioned our tactile graphic production to using Adobe
Illustrator in conjunction with a Tiger Pro Gen 2 Embosser (yeah - the
really big one). We previously used MS Word, but ran into a variety of
issues. Even though there is a steep learning curve to using Adobe
Illustrator, it has actually sped up the production of tactile graphics.
I have attached a copy of the instructions we follow for including
the Braille in Illustrator files.

We have noticed one issue with using Adobe Illustrator with the Tiger
and have not been able to determine what is happening. For some files,
we get a different set of dots for the same line thickness. For
example, we may make several thick lines, but some of the thick lines
have a one-dot thickness whereas the other thick lines have a two-dot
thickness when embossed. Not a major issue, but frustrating nonetheless.

Otherwise, we have the capacity to create tactile graphics using the
PIAF "toaster" as well as using various objects for three-dimensional
models. Most of the time, it depends on the subject matter and specific
capabilities and desires of the student.

In terms of 3-D printing, there was an article about a blind student at
UC Davis (go Ags!) who was in a chemistry class and used 3-D printing as
a solution:
http://blueline.ucdavis.edu/2ndTier/3rdTier/3Dprinting.html

Not a cheap solution, but with the price of 3-D printers coming down
each year this may be another possible solution for improving access to
instructional content.

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology