[Athen] ATHEN reply to 508 refresh

Gunderson, Jon R jongund at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 12 06:46:31 PST 2012

Ron,
I would be interested in it too.

I attended the public hearing by phone yesterday and the comments were very interesting.

Some of the themes from the public hearing:

1. We need an update soon, the current ICT is very out of date and industry is losing interest in implementing accessibility

2. People praised the new ICT option for directly allowing WCAG 2.0 Level AA conformance to be used for compliance to ICT in some cases (web content)

3. Many people felt the new trimmer requirements were in complete and need revisions

4. People with disabilities testifying felt the process is broken, accessibility is not being implemented and Adobe PDF files were singled out as major problem or example of one person testifying, even though it is technically possible to make PDF accessible

Jon