[Athen] Error in MathType 6.8 and Word 2010?

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 30 15:20:00 PDT 2012

Hello all,

We have been trying out Word 2010 and the new MathType 6.8 application
and have discovered a rather disconcerting result.

When entering a new inline equation into Word 2010, MathType 6.8
*automatically* adds a space after the equation. While this is not a
major problem if the equation occurs in the middle of a sentence, this
creates a significant problem if the following character after the
equation is supposed to be a comma or a period. This can cause a major
pain if trying to go to Braille via Duxbury. Please note - the extra
space is not happening in the MathType equation editor window, but
rather is in the MS Word document itself and happens when you press the
Inline Equation option.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a setting that one can
set such that MathType does not automatically include a space after the
equation?

Rather than just entering the equation, MathType appears to be also
trying to visually format our document as well.

Take care,
sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology