[Athen] Criteria for Captioning

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Sat Mar 24 11:39:03 PDT 2012

Pardon my cross-listing this question, but I'm desperate for answers.

Hi -
We have a growing number of self-produced videos by faculty in our online
courses, and we are trying to determine a criteria for what Distance
Learning will pay to have captioned and what should be the faculty or
departments responsibility. How do other college and universities decide
what they pay to have captioned?

Currently we require faculty to caption their self-produced media, but this
isn't easy to do when it's a Mediasite lecture capture. Plus many of our
part-time faculty object to the added workload that this requires, (even
with tools like Camtasia 7 that works with Windows 7 voice recognition to
make captioning easier).

Please share with me your approach to captioning requirements and how you
fund it or don't.

Thanks so much!

--
Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses