[Athen] Criteria for Captioning

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Tue Mar 27 02:23:27 PDT 2012

Hi - Thanks to the folks who responded to my plea for information on how
other post-secondary institutions approach video captioning. Please keep it
coming.
I just want to clarify one thing. Mediasite and ActionSync/CaptionSync (who
has a partnership with Mediasite to caption their lecture captures) have
been great companies to work with. The convenience of having them just
handle the captioning of lecture captures is great. But our college, like
everyone else,has a tight budget. We can't afford to outsource the
captioning of all our media. We have 1900 online courses, and many of them
have large numbers of videos (obviously, not all lecture captures). So we
are trying to figure out a way to prioritize what captioning we outsource,
what we do in-house, and what do we require faculty to provide transcripts
for or even actually caption themselves with Camtasia or online tools
(Youtube, Universal Subtitles).

Thanks!
Karen

--
Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses