[Athen] ABBYY 10 styles output problem

Gershman, Cindy cgershman at pima.edu
Thu Nov 29 08:33:44 PST 2012

Good morning,
As always, we'd appreciate any feedback, and please forgive the cross posts.

We're experiencing a problem with ABBYY 10 that did not occur in ABBYY 9 (and we don't know yet about ABBYY 11).

After establishing all the parameters we always use, when the pdf file is "Read" (ocr's) into a Word doc, there are MANY, many styles identified which we cannot use. I was aware of the Heading #1 style, which is relatively easily replaced, but we're getting:
Text 1
Text 2
Text 3
And so on; one file generated as many as 16 different styles.
This makes is much more cumbersome to do a search and replace for styles.

Is there a way to "turn off" the multiple style output from ABBYY 10?
Is there a pre-OCR step we're missing?
ANY help would be great. And for those of you using ABBYY 11, is this an issue?

Many thanks,

Cindy Gershman
Advanced Program Coordinator, Alt Format
Disabled Student Resources
Pima Community College
Tucson, AZ
520-206-6688