[Athen] Captioning a Pencast

Wink Harner foreigntype at cox.net
Tue Sep 25 15:01:06 PDT 2012

Check this out from a colleague of mine at MCC - here's the link for
Tech4Math

http://www.tech4mathed.com/blog/tag/pencasts/

Scroll down till you find the post for MAKING MATH ACCESSIBLE. Sue Glascoe
tried using Dragon in the classroom for this. Now there are Bluetooth AND
portable recording apps for iPhone & Android. The instructor would have to
spend some time training dragon & then using his / her cell in the classroom
to record the lecture. Math and science are similar in the math concepts
used, and the vocabulary for chemistry can be imported as a vocabulary list
into DNS.

Might be worth a try if the instructor is willing. I have used LS Pens in
the classroom for some time and I have doubts as to the quality of the audio
recording being sufficient to provide a good track for an accurate
transcription. According to LS, though, it is a fairly straightforward task
to separate the audio from the pencast.

I'll keep poking around and see what I can come up with.

Wink