[Athen] RE: institutional policy for purchasing technology

Gunderson, Jon R jongund at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:46:18 PDT 2013

The RFP language is an important first step for institutions in taking responsibility for accessibility of the resources they purchase.

>From my experience the practical aspects of RFPs that include accessibility language have had little impact on the accessibility of purchased products:

1. Vendors responding to the RFP are equally inaccessible, so accessibility does not become a purchasing factor (most common)

2. People making purchasing decisions have little knowledge of accessibility and therefore accept vendor claims without and validation

3. Nobody in the purchasing process has responsibility for verifying conformance with the accessibility requirements in the RFP

4. Testing for accessibility only happens after the purchase is finalized or are identified when an employee or student encounters a problem. Very little interest on changing vendors at that point and vendors usually has little interest in accessibility modifications since they already have the money.

5. Sales people have little knowledge of accessibility of their products and will make accessibility statements that might later provide to be false

6. Most companies software and web developers have little knowledge of accessibility and therefore usually ignore the issue during development, without feedback on accessibility and prioritization of accessibility issues many vendors will not get accessibility right.

While RFP language this is an important, more important is human resources trained in accessibility evaluation and design to be part of the purchasing process and to work with companies on implementing accessibility improvements, ideally in collaboration with other institutions.

We need more people who can work with vendors to help them understand accessibility and do evaluations of products to validate accessibility claims of vendors.

JOn