[Athen] Webinar: The Future of Higher Education and Disability

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 10:17:46 PDT 2013

Celebrating 2013 Global Accessibility Awareness Day - May 9 - 1:00 to 2:30
PM Eastern
There isn't a week that goes by without us hearing about a new disruptive
idea or a new online/offline collaboration that promises to change the way
higher education will be delivered. With the numerous challenges that
current higher education faces, it is no wonder that institutions of higher
learning and entrepreneurs are seeking new ways of providing quality
education.
Yet the enthusiasm of new methods and new services has been detrimental to
the conversations that take place in traditional higher ed institutions
regarding diversity, providing access to education to individuals from
different socioeconomic backgrounds, or providing equal opportunities to
people with disabilities who, until recent times, have not had the level
playing field when it comes to accessing higher education. These same
conversations need to take place for new models of education as they have
for traditional models. For quite some time, uncertainties will plague the
higher education field. While we can see the directions that higher
education learning will take, we cannot entirely predict where higher ed
will end up. We may be in an extended transition period--a period of
constant and rapid change.
No matter what changes happen, there is no doubt that we will need to ensure
that people with disabilities receive equal access to educational
opportunities. Whether disabled students take advantage of the increasing
number of Massive open online courses (MOOC), courses offered by local
community colleges, courses offered by entities that are thousands of miles
away, or something entirely new, we must explore how accessibility will be
structured.
Join EZFire as we discuss this bold new world of higher education in a
webinar to take place on Global Accessibility Awareness Day. Here our
presentation on May 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM eastern and join us in a dialogue
after the presentation. Let us explore the new world together.
When
Date: May 9, 2013
Time: 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM Eastern
How to attend
Fill out the registration form at http://www.ezfire.net/blog/GAAD-2013
You will receive instructions on how to attend the webinar a few days prior
to the event.