[Athen] MathType to Math Page problems

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 12 17:51:24 PDT 2013

Hi Julie,

Have you checked to see if the equations that are in their own paragraph are an inline vs. a display equation?

Inline equations appear inline with the text of a paragraph whereas Display equations appear as a separate line as their own paragraph (usually centered).

I had an alt format worker who was creating equations as Display equations in MS Word, but then modifying the appearance so that it appeared as an Inline equation. When I converted the document to DAISY or via MathPage, all the equations were on their own line even though it *looked* like the equation was inline with the paragraph - very maddening. It may be possible that when an equation is being converted it being set programmatically as a Display equation, even though it is appearing inline with the text.

You can check whether an equation is set as Inline or Display by open an equation in MathType and then looking under Format to see if the Inline Equation option is checked.

Take care,
Sean

On Aug 12, 2013, at 5:22 PM, Julie Balassa <jbalassa at valenciacollege.edu> wrote:

> Sean, the funky thing is that this is a file processed through Infty using convert equations. When I enter an equation manually, I can put it in the same paragraph. If I run a second conversion say to tex or mathml att and then another conversion back to mathtype equations, all the equations automatically get their own paragraph. I'll send you part of the file tomorrow when I'm back in my office. Thanks for replying.

> jkb

> sent from my iPad

> On Aug 12, 2013, at 7:49 PM, "Sean Keegan" <skeegan at stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Hi Julie,

>> Is there a MS Word document you could share with a sample of the problem?

>> I have run into several problems with MathType 6.9, but have not encountered that specific issue. One option may be to try and run a "repair" on your MS Office 2007 installation to see if that fixes the issue.

>> Take care,

>> Sean

>> On Aug 12, 2013, at 12:30 PM, Julie Balassa <jbalassa at valenciacollege.edu> wrote:

>>> Hello everyone. I'm using MathType 6.9 on a Windows 7 machine running Word 2007. The problem I have is that if I leave a MathType equation in the same paragraph as text, it doesn't show in the HTML/MathML file after I publish to MathPage. If the equation is first and is followed by text it shows up but if text is first I must put the equation in a new paragraph. This make for obnoxious listening for students. Any ideas? DESSCI has no idea why this is happening. By the way, I also had about a 2-hour struggle with Jaws and a large HTML/MathML file until I downgraded to MathPlayer 2.2. Maybe the Jaws scripts haven't been updated for MathPlayer 3 yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

>>> jkb

>>> Julie K. Balassa

>>> Assistant Director, Office for Students with Disabilities

>>> Mail Code 3-31

>>> 701 N Econlockhatchee Trail

>>> Orlando, FL 32825

>>> office: building 5 suite 216

>>> east: 407.582.2039

>>> west: 407.582.1603

>>> vp east: 407.374.1562

>>> vp west: 407-992-8941

>>> fax: 407.582.8908

>>> jbalassa at valenciacollege.edu

>>> Please note:

>>> Due to Florida's very broad public records law,

>>> most written communications to or from College

>>> employees regarding College business are public

>>> records, available to the public and media upon

>>> request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may