[Athen] Accessibility of Adobe Acrobat Pro

Ron Stewart ron at altformatsolutions.com
Fri Dec 13 15:53:03 PST 2013

Evening, the base answer is no unfortunately. We just did a huge document
remediation project for one of our major clients, not the first one. One of
the reasons that we did it is because their internal folks who require
non-mouse based access could just not do the work to meet the needs of users
both with and without disabilities and this is one of the largest providers
of content in the English speaking world. I like the work, but to be honest
I also regret taking it on.

I do not believe that ADOBE has spent any significant resources in making
their document development environments even marginally accessible. The
exception would be Dreamweaver, but even there you need to operate in code
mode. None of the WYSIWIG interfaces even come close. Would love to hear
that I am wrong, but for me accessible does not also mean that I have to
memorize a whole slew of non-standard keyboard commands. That does not mean
that it is impossible, but like Google ADOBE has played this love hate game
with accessibility for a long time. I have to commend their accessibility
group for their work, but corporately ADOBE is right up there with the other
vendors in playing lip service to accessibility.

Sorry to sound so jaded, but I have now been working in this space for
twenty years and I think it is justified.

Ron Stewart